Subject: Re: JUMANJI (was Hypernauts
From: Bryant Reif <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:25:55 -0800

At 05:17 PM 3/5/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Am I the only person who can spot ILM's CGI composites just by seeing
>them?  The impression I have of JP when I saw it at its opening was
>a great dissappointment:  animation was excellent, but the composites
>were terrible.  The only shots I could not really tell that were CG
>were the first brachiosaurus scene (no surprise -it was the first and
>probably the most developed shots) and the T-Rex night scene.  There
>is no doubt that those two were the scenes that took the most attention
>(one for being the first, the other one for being the most important
>to the plot).

I don't understand either.  It was very obvious to me which shots were
puppets and which shots were CGI in JP.  The close ups of heads, legs and
even the whole body, in which there were no large movements, were done with
animatronics.  The scenes in which the dino had to move across the sceen,
lunge at tires, etc.. were all CGI.  They really only used CGI in JP when
really necessary.  There is a lot less computer imagery in JP then most
people think.  I haven't seen Jumanji yet, but I am sure that I would have
little difficulty seperating the pupputs from the CGI in that film too.

Bryant

Bryant Reif
Phone: (517) 332-1236
Email: mailto:[email-masked]
URL:  http://www.aiesec.org/~bryant